afuna: Cat under a blanket. Text: "Cats are just little people with Fur and Fangs" (Default)
I ran into this issue while updating my database on my dev environment:

Failed to read auto-increment value from storage engine


That happened when I was trying to insert something new into logproplist. When I checked logproplist, I saw that the propid had skipped from 31 to 255, for the latest property (community moderator thing). information_schema.AUTO_INCREMENT had 256 as its value. Now I have no idea what that means, or why it happened, but it was causing me trouble.

I deleted all references to the property in logprop2, deleted the property itself in logproplist, reset the auto increment for logproplist, and then reran the database update command. First two steps may have been unnecessary; I did them before I managed to google up the reset fix.

(In the process, I think I figured out that ALTER_TABLE modifies the information_schema somehow).

As far as I can tell, it's not something that everyone is going to go through (that is, it appears to be a bug in my MySQL server version, triggered by some funky other stuff), so I'm not posting in [site community profile] dw_dev to spread the word/fix. Just here in my journal so I don't forget :-)